Thanks to City Councilperson, Jannie Blackwell, families who experience
homelessness will have more options toward resolving housing insecurity.
After meeting with members of the Family Service Provider Network (Philadelphia Interfaith Hospitality Network, HELP USA, Darlene Morris, and PEC) the Councilperson pledged to find new resources for families.┬á She convinced City Council the following week to add the $800,000 for prevention services, each year for the next 5 years.
The funding will be used for:
- Flexible financial assistance
- Short-term rental assistance
- Back rent
- Security Deposits/1st/Last month’s rent
- Utility Assistance, moving costs, transportation, furniture
- Housing Stabilization/Case Management
- Access to mainstream services
The Philadelphia Office of Homeless Services, which will manage the new funds, had only been able to provide such assistance to 28 percent of those who sought to help.